WABCO is focused on continuously developing integrated safety technology and efficient system solutions, delivered by the broadest and most experienced support network
OnGuardACTIVE™ is a radar-based active safety system that offers Collision Mitigation and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). OnGuardACTIVE detects moving, stopped or stationary vehicles ahead and measures the vehicle’s position in relation to others on the road to warn the driver of possible rear-end collision by providing audible, visual and haptic warnings. When appropriate, the system will apply the brakes to help avoid or mitigate an unavoidable collision.
The OnGuardACTIVE 77 GHz radar registers vehicles by one of three classifications:
- Moving – A vehicle that is currently and continuously in motion in the same direction as the host vehicle
- Stopped – A vehicle the radar has registered as moving but is now at a stop, such as at traffic lights
- Stationary – A vehicle the radar is picking up but has never seen move, such as disabled cars
A new feature to the OnGuardACTIVE system is active braking on stationary vehicles. The system will now provide audible & visual warnings, a haptic warning and active braking on all three classifications of vehicle the radar registers, even when cruise control is not set.
The adaptive cruise control (ACC) maintains the set speed while in cruise control mode when the lane ahead is clear, and will automatically adjust the vehicle’s speed to maintain a set following distance when a vehicle ahead is detected.
Features & Benefits
- Collision Mitigation
- Audible & visual warnings and active braking on stationary vehicles that could be a possible obstruction in their lane.
- Vehicle collision audible & visual warnings that alert drivers to developing rear-end collisions
- Haptic warning provides short brake pulse which causes drivers to respond faster to imminent rear-end collisions
- “Always on” at speeds above 15 mph even when cruise control is not set
- Applies up to 50% of the vehicle’s braking power to help avoid or mitigate an impending collision
- Adaptive Cruise w/Active Braking
- Assists in maintaining a 3.6 seconds interval between driver’s vehicle and the vehicle ahead
- Makes cruise control a more useful tool in various traffic conditions
- Allows for an enhanced driving experience in various traffic conditions
- Reduces driver fatigue in congested traffic